Thursday, October 4, 2007

My Linguistic Gymnastic saga

I'm writing this after reading an another amazing blog !! all these beautiful and well written blogs discourage me to the core and then I pick up myself hearing to the inner voice " vipu you are not that bad ..you are good ..at least U've got couple of good comments (but the fact is both of them have borrowed money from me :-)) and guys i need it back in anyways ::::! :-)
I became close to English language only after my college (which most of you can make out from the mediocre language used in my blog :-) ))that too because i hardly had any other choice and all my life I never remember having a book(be it in any language) in my hand other than academics !!
i did my schooling from an ordinary state syllabus school in Kerala where even if u accidentally utter anything in English you'll be bullied to hell and if you continue that soon you will be a guy who "looks like George bush and born in Iran "!! ( yeah worst than hell) . So me too happily joined the majority and bullied all those poor chaps who spoke in English . After school i did my predegree (11th and 12th) in a college at Cochin there too knowing English just helped hanging out with those gorgeous Chic's passed out from CBSE and ICSE schools which at that time was not in my priority list ....don't conclude that i was a gay :-) ! but bit more into sports and bikes than girls ( ofcourse now i realise what i missed ..no girls,no bikes and no sports :-((:-) )) Ok now the hero got into an Engineering college, there i was quick to make a gang of my own pals who was not at all comfortable with English but outside that heavenly circle i could see myself swiftly becoming a minority but i comfortably ignored all that by opening an another bottle of beer with my so called gang of mallu speaking snobs!
Soon came the end of those mallu speaking glorious days , during the final year of my college I happened to be the captain of arts fest.Winning the arts fest had lot to do with the prestige of branches in the college than anything and my job was to coordinate the efforts and talent of a whole branch, of which the majority of people were outside my elite gang !! there were a lot of Biharis , Bengalis , Gujrathis and of course huge junk of mallus who were very comfortable in any other languages than Malayalam ( of course i studied in an engineering college in Kerala but it hardly looked like one inside the campus) So guys i had to speak(literally shout) in Hindi ( which were never close to that beautiful language )and then some English ,and also used our dear malayalam only for some words at the start ,middle and end of the sentences which were expressed in anger ! :-) So I think that was the linguistic turning point and that era in my life i used English to get things done( even more than British used to rule India)and just as a vehicle of thoughts for reaching across the team but i never knew that behind all this I was falling in love with that beautiful language. That particular phase of my life also taught me to respect each and every language on earth :-) !

by the way we were just third in the art fest in a total team of 6 and I dont regret it simply because i was the most favourite English speaking captain of the whole team ;-) !!! cheers.

6 comments:

Arun Jose Francis said...

Nice work buddy! It is a good read. did bring a few smiles... good job! :-) by the way, the spelling of chao is Ciao... :-D

persona said...

thnx..it was chalo ..;-)

Unknown said...

vips superb!!!!!!simply readin ur writins n glancing at ur brilliant ideas of photography 1 thing cmes to my mind is tat u r in a long journey.....to find more abt urself....tats the source of al ur new crazes....i dnt knw whether my guess is right or not,....bt i simply think sooooo....nyway al the best.....u hav a long way to go...because the treasure u r huntin 4 is u urself!!!!!!!...

persona said...

thank u

Hari said...

Nice summary dude.. But, the title is confusing me.. The linguistic word is ok.. However, Gymnastic doesnt fit in this.. Especially when a "Pluckan" wrote it :-)

Just kiddin bro.. Awesome. I wish we could make a re-visit to our undergrad dayzz...

Anonymous said...

Thanks be given to you in place of another prodigious article. Where else could anyone gross that charitable of dirt in such a complete way of writing? I accept a presentation next week, and I am on the look representing such information.
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]